PHILADELPHIA — A man who police said shot six Philadelphia Police officers in the city’s Nicetown section Wednesday was apprehended after a lengthy standoff, officials announced early Thursday.

Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp announced just after midnight that the man who was holed up in a North 15th Street residence and engaged in a seven-hour standoff with police has been taken into custody. Authorities had been at the scene since 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, when they were serving a narcotics warrant at a house along the 3600 block and gunfire broke out, police said.

The six wounded officers have been released from hospitals, Gripp said. One officer suffered a graze wound to the head.

The suspect has been identified as Maurice Hill, 34, of Philadelphia. He had a gun on him when he surrendered and was taken to Temple University Hospital for evaluation but later released, NBC10 reported.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said officers fled the house through windows and doors when the shots were fired. Two officers became trapped and were later evacuated by SWAT without injury, Gripp said.

Click Here: cheap INTERNATIONAL jersey

Ross called the scene “horrible” and said that officers attempted to speak with the male shooter by phone and loudspeaker. “It’s nothing short of a miracle that we don’t have multiple officers killed today,” Ross said.

In addition to the officers shot, another was injured in a car accident while responding to the scene. That officer’s status was not immediately available.

Fox 29 reported the alleged gunman’s lawyer was in contact with him during the standoff and was trying to get him to surrender.

Gov. Tom Wolf issued a statement about the incident, calling it a reminder of the “selfless sacrifice of our law enforcement officers and first responders.”

“I spoke with Mayor Kenney this evening to pledge the commonwealth’s full support for whatever is needed to bring this ordeal to an end,” he said. “We will continue to support the victims, the police force and all of Philadelphia’s residents.”

Wolf, who was expected to sign an executive order Thursday making “sweeping” changes to reduce gun violence, has postponed that event “out of respect for the officers injured and the ongoing situation in North Philadelphia,” his office said in an update late Wednesday.

The situation caused disruptions to activity around the area, including at Temple University, nearby daycares, and public transit.

Temple University’s Health Science Center Campus was on lockdown for more than two hours after the gunfire began. The university lifted the lockdown around 7 p.m.

Both southbound and northbound trains on the Broad Street line bypassed the Erie station as the situation unfolded, SEPTA said earlier in the evening.

CBS reported four women were escorted from the scene by SWAT and police from the scene after they were in the home on the second floor at the time of the shootout and that police saved them.

A resident in the area told Action News she heard 100 shots at one point. Fox29 reported the shooter live streamed the incident online before Facebook took it down.

Patch will update the story as additional details are made available.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *