El Rey Network announced Monday morning that Lucha Underground has been renewed for a third season.
According to the release, production will begin immediately in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles and will premiere on El Rey in early 2017.
The second season of the cult wrestling phenomenon began a week ago and are just about to wrap up their final set of tapings. Last week’s premiere drew 109,000 viewers for the initial Wednesday airing with 85,000 for the immediate replay.
From the release:
“‘Lucha Underground’ has caught fire by developing a loyal and passionate fan base,” said El Rey Network Chairman and Founder Robert Rodriguez. “I am proud that its home is El Rey Network, and we’re excited to announce a season three return for even more no-holds-barred action.”
“I am so excited that the fans will be able to continue to enjoy the incredible action and stories,” said Executive Producer Mark Burnett.