DAVENPORT, FL — A Polk County deputy’s boot was struck by a bullet when a man with a history of emotional issues opened fire on police Wednesday night during a standoff at his Davenport home. The officer was not injured but the sheriff’s office described the near miss as miraculous. The incident took place just off Ronald Reagan Parkway east of U.S. Highway 27.

“Miraculously he was not injured,” said a spokesperson for the Polk County Sheriff’s office on Thursday. “No other deputies or officers were hit.”

Twenty-year-old Zachary Stinson surrendered to police following a six-hour standoff with Polk County Sheriff’s deputies and Haines City police officers at his home in the 200 block of Regency Street.

“Zachary made the statement that he was going to die today,” the sheriff’s office said. The incident apparently stemmed from a family disturbance around 10:14 p.m. Wednesday.

The spokesperson identified the officer whose boot was struck as Lt. Mike Baldwin. The suspected shooter surrendered to deputies around 4:15 a.m.

Baldwin supervises the Northeast District Delta platoon and is a veteran officer, who was hired by the sheriff’s office in July 1993. His shift, along with Haines City officers responded to the scene.

“Zachary was the only person in the house. He shot four times out of the front window at the deputies,” the sheriff’s office said. “One of the bullets struck the boot of a deputy. The bullet entered the boot on the side, near the laces and exited on the side above the heel.”

The sheriff’s office said Stinson fired three more shots out of the back of the home at deputies and an officer.

“The officer shot back with a single shot,” the sheriff’s office said.

Stinson, who had been placed under temporary detention 10 times previously in Polk County in accordance with Florida’s Baker Act, was being charged with five counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and seven counts of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, according to the sheriff’s office.

“Zachary was upset that his father went on a date with a woman, and Zachary felt left out,” the sheriff’s office said. “Zachary then became agitated. Zachary shaved his head, began urinating on the furniture and floor, spray-painted interior walls and began using a knife to open a locked box containing his father’s firearms.”

The negotiations with Stinson were conducted by the SWAT unit and Crisis Negotiation Team.

PCSO Lt. Mike Baldwin narrowly escaped injury when a man opened fire, according to police. Photo courtesy Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

Click Here: new zealand rugby team jerseys

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *