WWE announced several weeks ago that they will be returning to Saudi Arabia for an event called Crown Jewel. The show features a number of high-profile matches, including a Universal Championship match between Braun Strowman and Brock Lesnar, and a tag team match with DX reuniting to take on The Brothers of Destruction. However, WWE has been facing backlash from fans lately over their relationship with the Saudi Royal Family. The company has been pressured to cancel the upcoming event ever since the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi took place a few weeks back. Although some fans remained hopeful that WWE would not go through with the show, it appears that Crown Jewel will be moving forward.
An official announcement from the company on whether or not Crown Jewel would remain in Saudi Arabia was expected to be made this week, and earlier today, WWE confirmed that the show will still be airing as planned. During the third quarter earning report today, it was mentioned that the choice to continue on with the event was “a very difficult decision,” but there are no plans to cancel or move the show out of Riyadh. In addition to Shawn Michaels’ in-ring return, Crown Jewel will also feature a “WWE World Cup” tournament. The controversial partnership between WWE and the nation of Saudi Arabia will be continuing for now.The following statement comes from WWE’s 3rd quarter earning report released just hours ago:
“WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has
developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous
crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a
very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for
November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to
continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold
its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage
the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the
Riyadh event as scheduled.”

Despite the fact that WWE has no plans to cancel the Crown Jewel event, a report from Robbie Fox of Barstool Sports suggesting that John Cena and Daniel Bryan won’t be working the show still persist. Despite both superstars remaining advertised for Crown Jewel, Post Wrestling’s John Pollock says that Cena has refused to work the show. Furthermore, Pro Wrestling Sheet has now been able to confirm that Daniel Bryan told officials in WWE that he won’t be wrestling at Crown Jewel. Cena had been scheduled to compete in the World Cup tournament while Bryan was set to face AJ Styles for the WWE Championship during the show. WWE released the following statement on the matter: “As always, we maintain an open line of communication with our performers and will address each situation accordingly.”

a very difficult decision

Click Here: NRL Telstra Premiership

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *